Applications for USADF - Smart Communities Coalition open June 10-July 30, 2018. (Please find application information here.)
CALL FOR PROPOSALS - STATUS
Thank you for your interest in USADF development programs in Africa. If you submitted a proposal in earlier this year please see our schedule below to help you understand the status of your application.
- Proposals Due: November 15, 2017 - January 29. 2018
- Application Screening: January 29 - February 15, 2018
- Application Site Visits: February 15 - March 2, 2018
- Application Scoring: March 2 - 16, 2018
- Application Selection: March 19 - 23, 2018
- Selection Notifications: March 26 - 30, 2018
- Grant Design and Award: April 1, 2018 - August 31, 2018.
March 31, 2018 - The response to the "call for proposals' was very strong. USADF received over 10,000 applications across 19 countries. USADF has completed the process of reviewing, screening, and scoring all qualified applications. If you have not been contacted by a USADF representative, your application is not being considered for further actions at this time.
If you have been contacted by USADF already and your application was selected to be a part of our grant design and award process, you will be contacted a second time directly by our local representative to begin the grant final design and award process. Beware, there are no fees to be paid to anyone associated with the USADF grant making process.
The U.S. African Development Foundation invites proposals for grant financing and local support, from African enterprises, cooperatives, and producer groups with innovative solutions that extend their own capabilities to increase revenues, create jobs, improve farmer incomes, and achieve sustainable market-based growth.
Maximum award US $250,000
Proposals will only be accepted from registered agricultural cooperatives, small-scale producer groups, and agricultural processors working directly in the sectors and countries listed below.
Grant Proposal Period Opens November 15, 2017
AND CLOSES January 29, 2018
Download the application here
USADF Grant Applications are FREE of charge.
If you qualify submit a completed application and support documents
to the email address for your country listed below by January 29, 2018.
Am I eligible for A GRANT?
USADF will only consider proposals from 100% African-owned enterprises, associations or cooperatives operating in the specified country sectors. Applicants must be legally registered in their country, with a with a proven ability to track, manage, and use internal and external resources to achieve growth.
The majority of USADF’s funding agreements range between $100,000 and $250,000. USADF does not provide funding to government agencies, political parties, or organizations that are not based in Africa
NOTE: APPLYING FOR AN USADF GRANT IS FREE, THERE IS NO FEE ASSOCIATED WITH A GRANT APPLICATION.
(Une demande de subvention USADF EST GRATUIT. Il n'y a aucun frais associé à une application d’USADF.)
Selection Guidelines and INSTRUCTIONS
Successful Proposals Must
- Have a clearly defined market opportunity to grow revenues that can increase farmer incomes.
- Have a clearly defined plan of how they can increase revenues and farmer incomes in 2- 4 years.
- Be able to make significant cash or in-kind contributions toward making the project successful.
- Be able to impact hundreds of farmers.
- Be able to identify additional financing options available after the USADF grant ends.
- The organization must be 100% African-owned and managed by country nationals.
- The organization must be a legally registered African entity (or in the process of becoming legally registered. Registration must be completed before any funding may be provided).
- The organization must demonstrate that it has successfully worked together and has the capability to effectively use grants funds..
- The ownership and management must be in agreement on the problem to be addressed and have a commitment to benefit their community.
- The organization must have basic functional management and controls to account for USADF funds.
- Completed Application Form. - Required
- Copy of a valid organization or enterprise registration form. - Required
- Most Recent Business Plan. - Preferred but Optional
- Two Years of Financial Statements - Preferred but Optional
Grant Application Instructions
Send a copy of the completed application form and a copy of the registration document to the address listed below for your country. Be sure to include a copy of your recent business plan and financial statements if you have them. Note: USADF is only accepting applications from cooperatives, associations, or enterprises directly involved in the sectors listed for each country in the table below. USADF is not accepting appliactions from NGOs. Application materials submitted after January 29, 2018 will not be considered.
Grant Application Selection, Award and Implementation Process
USADF will review all applications and will contact those organizations that best fit country strategies and objectives. A site visit will be conducted and finalists will be referred to USADF Washington for a final assessment and selection. Once an application is selected by USADF Washington, a local USADF Technical Partner will be assigned to the organization to help complete additional Grant Design and Budget steps. After the design steps are completed USADF will enter into a formal agreement to award grant funds to the organization. The USADF Technical Partner will continue to assist the organization during the grant implementation period. Grant funds are disbursed to the organization over the grant period as the organization achieves the plans, activities, and outcomes of the grant design. Grant organizations report to USADF on a quarterly basis.
Country, Sector, and Contact information
USADF is only accepting grant applications from organizations and enterprises working in the following countries and sectors.
Send Materials to
Maize, Cassava, Cashew, Shea Nuts
Onion, Shea, Rice, Cashew
Coffee,Palm Oil, Rice
Coffee, Maize, Rice
Palm Oil, Shea, Textiles
Horticulture, Livestock, Dairy, Fish
Rice, Legumes, Sunflower
Cereals (Millet, Sorghum, Rice, Maize), Horticulture, Livestock
Livestock, Horticulture, Forestry Products
Irrigated Horticulture, Livestock, Rice
Sorghum, Rice, Cassava, Aquaculture
Coffee, Tea, Maize, Rice
Rice, Horticulture, Tree Crops, Millet
Cassava, Sesame, Groundnuts, Horticulture
Coffee, Horticulture, Cereals
Coffee, Maize, Rice, Cassava
Sunflower, Dairy, Rice
Horticulture, Fruits, Grains